Monday, January 09, 2006

Daddy Speaks...

Well,I figured it was time I made an appearance on this blog seeing as how I spend as much time as I can looking at it whenever I get a chance. The other day, I asked myself what my favorite picture of my son was, and I found myself drawn to one that my wife Des has been a bit too shy to dig much. But for me, I thought it was extrememly powerful. I mean, at least for new fathers like myself, you start to really understand family when you walk into your room and see this. For me, it was a day when I worked all day, came home, worked on my dissertation until late at night (about 2-3am), and started to make my way to bed and walked in on this... Man, you want to talk about an eye-opener? I looked at those two and I knew I had to do whatever it took to make sure these two have whatever they need for the rest of their lives. THAT'S POWER. These two are my heart and I mean that. Those are some of the reallest and most uncompromising feelings I've ever felt. Its the kind of thing that pops into my head whenever I want to walk off my job, or hit someone stupid, or lose my mind when I get an unfair traffic ticket. This is the image that pops into my head to remind me that I have responsibilities outside of myself. This is what pushes me through stress, anger, hate, fear, pride, whatever. This is what makes me chase my dreams with more tenacity than I ever thought I had. I want to provide them both with everything I never had. This pic makes me want to provide for my wife what my mother never had--SECURITY. I want to give my son what I think the definition of "father" should include, a father that won't walk away--no matter how hard the discussion gets!! A father who isn't just there when it suits him, but present emotionally, practically, financially, and most importantly spiritually. I want to teach my son that being a man is about being present in all of these ways for the people you love (even through death). This pic reminds me why I want to teach my son everything I can and yet remember that he's his own person that needs his own space to grow. Simply put, walking in on this taught me what unconditional love meant. I learned more about God looking at them than I ever learned from ANY book. And that's real. Anyway, I'll contribute more (and next time I won't hit y'all with this much). But you know for someone who didn't expcet to live to thirty, RaKhem ("One who is Divine light born of infinite possibility") has single-handedly opened a new chapter in our lives. Until next time...
Peace & Luv,
hasan

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great picture to capture! That is absolutely beautiful!

1/11/2006 7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home